The Riverside’s vote board is certainly garnering a bit of attention. Most of it positive. Some negative. The negative comments are mostly concerned that the DJ’s will use the information to put greatest hits playlists together. Thus, becoming a “Top 40” style club. I am pretty sure that this won’t happen. I can speak for myself and a few other DJ’s in the club in that most of us are constantly looking for new songs and artists. We could pack our sets with Joe Bonamassa and Stevie Ray Vaughan. We don’t though because most of us have played these artists so much we would rather just play them as requests. I believe if the guest is bored with the music then the DJ is probably more so.
The vote board’s intention is only to be some fun for the guests not to decide what the DJ playlists will be. Most of the DJ’s know what is popular. They see it from the reaction in local. Most people will tell you when they like a song but not many will tell you when they don’t enjoy one. This is where the vote board becomes useful I think. It tells us the songs you don’t like or have no reaction too. This is more useful than showing us what song really did well. So instead of putting a bunch of ‘hits’ in our sets which would get really boring for everyone it does allow us to weed out the duds that people don’t like.
Here’s this week’s Top 10.
1. Levon Helm – When I Go Away – Moon – 189.66
2. Isley Brothers – Shout (Parts 1 & 2) – Sherman – 174.59
3. Johnny Sansone – The Lord Is Waiting And The Devil Is Too – Ray – 149.67
4. Leon Russell – Medley: Jumpin’ Jack Flash/Young Blood – BC – 145.68
5. Joe Bonamassa – Sloe Gin – Graylon – 124.72
6. Alvin Lee – I Hear You Knockin’ – Xia – 124.51
7. Jeff Beck – A Day in the Life – Ray – 106.00
8. Tedeschi Trucks Band – Shelter – Mackenzie – 99.34
9. Walter Trout – Apparitions – Westland – 97.06
10. B.B. Chung King & The Buddaheads – Better Day – Falconer – 90.26
Editor’s Note: The vote board was acting up for a couple days again. So if someone’s song was omitted accept my apologies.