The new Emerald has two new features that are cool for sl. First new feature that I adore is that music titles now appear on your screen so you can keep up with which artist you’re listening to. The second is a tat layer now for dressing so that you don’t lose your underoos or parts of a highly detailed outfit.
I was skeptical of using anything but the normal Second Life Viewer at first but I heard so many positive reviews about Emerald Viewer I just had to try it out. I’m soooo glad I did. Now Emerald Viewer is all I ever use. A while after Viewer 2 came out I did give it a try and it was HORRIBLE. I hated it in approximently 2 hours. Not disliked, hated. My friend told me that Emerald had recently released a beta with alpha layers. It was a bit buggy but it was much better than Viewer 2. Those said bugs seemed to be fixed after another beta release, and now everything seems to run quite smoothly. I learned a lesson; never use anything but Emerald Viewer!
After 5 years in SL, I have gotten used to where the buttons are. Emerald was close enough to the original layout to make the transition easy. With Viewer 2, I can barely even get dressed. Add to that Emerald’s features, it’s a slam-dunk!
I agree with Pirate – 5 years in SL and I too had gotten used to the viewer. I liked it just fine.
When I tried 2.0 I hated it in about 5 minutes. Still tried a little longer to give it a fair shot.
1. First thing was that I’ve been using Emerald’s intergrated AO. No HUD, no attachment point. In 2.0 my avie was sans AO, and I didn’t have one prepared to wear. So that drove me crazy.
2. I had been using Emerald’s multiple attachment points, so now some of my attachments were floating somewhere in the room, or attached to odd places. I realized that was not a feature I was willing to part with either.
3. Emerald has great features for rp’rs like myself, like spell check and an integrated translator.
4. As an RP’r I didn’t like 2.0’s chat bar/spaces. Seems to me that its more geared towards using the voice features, something LL seems to have focused on and wants to promote–look at the improvements they’ve made on it (including the creepy lipsynch thing). So I didn’t consider it RP friendly. I don’t use voice except occasionally, have no desire to sit here talking to everyone or having people offer voice sex just because they see a dot over my head.
5. Seems to me that SL didn’t think of what a drastic change they were making in their viewer and how that could affect the long time users. It was a huge change over night, one that could be a bit hard to get used to. Granted, if we didn’t’ have other viewers we’d be stuck with it, whether we liked it or not. But they could have been a bit more considerate and made the changes slowly.
I love the Emerald viewer, even amongst the other 3rd party viewer and even if i do use SL 2.0, I use Kristen S20 instead. Though that is very very rare when I do.
I can understand the people who voice about not liking the setup for SL 2.0. It is very different than what we all started with, and like what others have said, some people are going on from five years. So to change the whole lay-out was an odd choice. The lay-out is so different that the transition from 1.0 to 2.0 can be very complex to even the oldest of users. I am naturally curious about new things, so I have explored as many options as I could within my time on 2.0. The rendering quality of the graphics look much better to me on my 3 year old computer. And that is saying a lot since I didn’t buy the best card even available at that time. The shadowing rendering is awesome. I don’t know 100% if you can do the Shadow on Emerald, though I did try it once a long time ago with the Shadowdraft viewer, but it went all funking and very slow on my machine. While using the shadow render on Kristen s20 is still slow on my computer, I can still use it enough to take photos if I really want shadows that much. But I have not used that viewer since I have learned to Photoshop shadows into my photos. lol
As for the Link sync that kaliope mentioned, that has been around since I started playing SL again back in April of 2008, it is not new but it was listed as Lip Sync (Beta) on the Advance menu since that time until SL 2.0 came out when it went Live instead of being Beta.
But keep this in mind, even with SL players that have been playing longer than the time that SL 2.0 came out, there are the new players that are just use to SL 2.0 and would think that the transition of trying to play on Emerald viewer or SL 1.0 would be just as poor since they are use to that User-Interface of SL 2.0. I would like love to see a study or a survey go on about true new users and see what one they like better if they had to start out with SL 2.0 first. That is just food for thought for this paragraph.
I am relatively new (5 months) and Viewer 2.x appeared shortly after I rezzed. Compared with the decidedly cheesey (teletubby) buttons and interface in 1.23/Emerald, Viewer 2.x is a much faster interface to use. I think it’s funny that “experienced” users want to stick with the old viewer, but I guess it’s really because LL introduced no seriously new and compelling features in Viewer 2.
The very fact that a 5 year old viewer can still be used on the system tells me a lot about how innovative SL really is…
For me it has always been Emerald viewer but not lately
anymore because of this problem with emerald i decided
to use Imprudence viewer.
Why i dont like viewer 2? to me it seems to complicated and not easy to use at all but the most important thing is that it
doesnt feel warm enough it feels more like a cold and
business type viewer.
And no we dont need another browser.